ALBERTA UNION OF PROVINCIAL EMPLOYEES
CONTINUING CARE – SEPARATE EMPLOYERS SOUTH
Sept 6, 2019
OPENING AND ROLL CALL
The meeting of AUPE Local 048 was called to order at 09:15 by the
Chair June St Lewis
Statement of Equality was read by Kathleen Schwengler
1) IN ATTENDANCE:
June St Lewis
Bethany Harvest Hills
fairmount park lodge
Cassandra Saleh R
kavita Ben R
Heidi Spicher Regrets
Sukhi Johal R
New Port Harbour
Carol Eastman R
Valley View Medicine Hat
Ruth Macdonald Alt Mary Ann Janzen
Bethany Collegeside Red Deer
Chantell Sunset Manor Innisfail
Shaileshbhai (Sam) Vaghani
Bethany Sylvan Lake
Age Care Sunrise Garden
Heather Dean Alt Anita Almas
Melissa Lechelt alt Tuesdae Johnston
lourdes Blanco alt Melith Gloriani
Marlene Roth alt Melissa Nurse
Bryan McKelvie R
Garrison Green Care west
Richard Pastoras R
Mallory McCully R
Jennifer Wenceslao alt Colleen Huckson
Carewest Nicole House
Sandra Morin R
Jacelynn Maxwell R
seasons retirement Lethbridge
Mountain view seniors Olds
Raufayda Haymour R
Nandelal Nanayakkara R
Eau Clair Chartwell
Julie Moores R
48 Bethany Riverview Catherine Van Tol
R = Regrets Alt alternate
2) INTRODUCTION OF GUESTS AND OBSERVERS
Guests and Observers Candidates for VP
3) ADOPTION OF THE AGENDA M/S/C
4) READING AND ADOPTION OF MINUTES May 24 as corrected M/S/C
5) READING AND ADOPTION OF THE MINUTES OF THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTES Sept 5
6) LOCAL 048 COMMUNICATIONS
a) Thank you cards
7a) Chair June St Lewis –accepted as written M/S/C
7b) Vice Chair Kathleen - accepted as Written. M/S/C
7c) Treasurer Dorothy Loftus- accepted as presented. M/S/C
7d) Secretary Olea Lindholm- accepted as written. M/S/C
7e) Provincial Executive Rep Diane Morin - accepted as written. M/S/C
8) LOCAL 048 SUB COMMITTEES
8a) Policy Committee – Kathleen
Article 4.08 C Meal expenses are not to be claimed in those cases where the meal is already provided. Complimentary Breakfast at the Hotel, functions and or meetings
4.14 Gifts, Awards and presentations A-the value of the gifts shall be 15.00 per year of service after 10 years continuous service with Local 48 AUPE. Both motions were carried
8b) Finance Committee – Dorothy Loftus –Meeting on Sept 5 , Please ask your members who have received cheques to please ensure they are cashing them and not to cash them twice as this make balancing the books difficult .
8c) anti priv- No meeting
8d)OH&S Dee Erickson is our new OH&S rep Please email Dee at firstname.lastname@example.org . She is working closely with Diane Griffith who is the AUPE rep for Health and Safety, Dee is gaining incredible knowledge and is more than willing to assist you with information on OH&S in your worksite.
8e) Women's Committee - no committee members at present
8f) members Benefits Committee anyone requiring assistance with financial hardship, schooling cost funeral cost for members or family members can apply on line. They now also have a bursary for part time students
8g) Area Council, . New deals are available at Area Council in your areas for 2020
9) UNFINISHED OR NEW BUSINESS
- Diane Morin is our Web Master if you have anything you would like on the Local 48 site please submit it to the Chair for approval and she will then have Diane put it on the site
- Please work on Member engagement and ensure we are working on the grey cards
- we have had a lot of local council members missing meetings if you are unable to attend please ensure that June is notified and that you notify your alternate so that you chapter is represented.
- Time off: when requesting time off please include: your name, chapter, members number, paid hours of work, rate of pay, and fax# or email to send the request. this is imperative to insure you receive your correct time off request.
- Bereavement: please email to June @email@example.com We do require the persons name, mailing address including postal code and the relationship of the family member who has passed away. this should be submitted by the chair of the chapter.
- Please see attached list of Chapter responsibilities for Executive, we will try and be in contact with each chapter chair, encourage and assit with education, and chapter events.
- Please pass information on to the chapters from all meetings and events you attend this helps to keep everyone up to date with what is going on.
- You can get retirement packages from HeadQuarters for long term members
- if you require a Doctors note for a private hotel room you will require a note from your Dr that is submitted to Headquarters.
- Convention delegate list was distributed and a donation for the hospitality suite was discussed, it was decided that gift cards for the amount of $300 would be purchased
- Local Council January meeting event will be Jubilation dinner theatre.
ch 1) information rally June 8, BBQ at iron horse park low turn out, miniature train. Bargaining rally Sept 30 combined with Airdrie, Cochrane and Harvest Hills. Mediation meetings June 15,16,17 employer walked away from the table, unit renovations happening the unit the locked dementia unit was painted bright yellow, low enrollment in the HCA registry
ch 2) Bargaining in Sept , working short staff now in attendance program.
ch 3) BBQ June 12 great turn out, working short staffed Bargaining at a stad still, Rally Oct 9th a lot of staff leaving, looking at a lunch and learn.
ch 4) BBQ july 22, good site, greycard and t-shirts given out for nurses week. Working short and in Bargaining.
ch 5) new staff and contract at a stand still
ch 7) contract Ratified Aug 29 good turn out, lunch and learn next month
ch 8) BBQ Aug 6 Bonnie VP attended, went well, lunch and learn Sept 23 Health and safety , working short, contract ratified.
ch 9) problems with management, manager letting staff go due to language barrier
ch 10) contract ratified Aug 29 BBQ with Fanning
ch 11) lots of fighting, low moral loosing employees
ch 12) nothing much working short only replacing 2nd sick call, working on in house education
ch 13) working short only replacing 2nd sick call in Bargaining Sept 17-19
ch 14) BBQ July 29 in barraging , new administrator very happy
ch 15) BBQ July 3 75% attendance, Aug 6 open house, Bargaining Sept 10-11 Rally Sept 24
ch 16) BBQ Aug very successful, staff not happy about the new rotation and change in shifts, meeting with management.
ch 17) change in Administration new DOC, working short, Bargaining meeting today, holding 2 information sessions.
ch 18) working short, care coordinator let go on Friday
ch 19) new Rotation bad moral, more OT 3 open lines not filling shifts.
ch 20) Ratified Contract-new HR person got a 2 yr contract
ch 21 Rally Sept 18 @ Riverview, Had bargaining BBQ July 12 109 people attended
ch 22) still in bargaining information session Oct 3&4 meeting with management working short, no one coming for interview exchanging food shifts without notice staff member ws killed in a car accident.
ch 23) New DOC . Having a pizza party Sept 23 Bargaing update being held Sept 26. making the HCA registry mandatory
ch 25Bargaining not going well having rally on Sept 25 with collegeside, Held BBQ on July 25
ch 26) Temp DOC hired. Bargaining update turned out good. hiring new staff, denying sicktime 1 staff looking after 84 residents, short no extra staff , OT being denied
ch 29) mole on bargaining committee interview for new staff top turn out for 12 members for wing night.
ch 32) Same as the other Bethanys for bargaining, July 4 BBQ good turn out , July 25 Rally working short staff, HCA directory concerns, 17 members for wings, planning christmas party.
ch 34) 6 week rotation, working short, chair on leave, Management is leaving information with MSO Sept 5
ch 35) new CSM, working short, not allowed to stay no OT, problems with vacation and shift swaps, ch 37) working short , safety concerns due to residents with mental issues, problems with getting vacation, senority list issues 3 lists circulating holding lunch and learns
ch 38) joined AUPE 3 yrs ago not many active members wont attend but first to complain, lots of work to organize BBQ Aug 27 it went well had a good turn out, started a whatsup app
ch 41) BBq went well, all good
ch 42) Ratified contract, gave H2O bottles good response AHS funs bed not contract renewal all is going smooth
ch 43) HCA's finding own replacements, managers refuses to find replacements, all safety issues fixed, organizing event in Oct
ch 44) chanlengin situation, management not union friendly, working on motivation keep up with education, BBQ cancelled first one, second one went well, owner treating to lock out employees, Rally Oct 1 Good support from Cliffton and Rocky Ridge, Education for members having a potluck Sept 27
ch 48) meeting and Greet was well attended, looking for union board, bargaining surveys sent out, Rally Sept 18 bargaining Oct 21.
12) Food Bank money donated to Ch22 for family of member killed in car accident
The meeting was adjourned June St Lewis
DATE OF NEXT MEETING Jan 10 2020
AUPE Calgary Office
#200 – 2116 27 Ave NE
Minutes compiled by
Secretary Local 48